A valuable lesson I learned during my job search

Saturday, October 21, 2017

Image result for tumblr photography road
Photo from Pinterest.com 
I consider myself pretty candid when it comes to the blog. In case you aren't aware of my current life 'situation' here is a mini crash-course to get you up to speed.

A mini-lesson on Sabrina Kennelly's Life (so far): I have a degree in French and Communications with a Certificate in International Journalism. Throughout my time in College, I worked my butt off because I knew that the job market was competitive. I worked two jobs (within my job), completed three internships, studied abroad, partook and student activity life, and even graduated early from college. My first year out of college I partook in a teaching program in France. This gave me the opportunity to strengthen my skills in international relations and ultimately have the ability to see many different parts of the world.

Fast forward to last week. I received an email from Linkedin that I have been on the job search for 90 days. Yep, 90 days. If you personally know me, you probably know that I am my biggest critic. Honestly, I'm embarrassed for myself at how bad this situation has been going in terms of the job search. When people ask me what I'm doing I simply tell them that I'm strengthening my yoga moves because I'd rather not discuss my job search with others. I am fortunate enough to have a job at the moment with great coworkers but yearn to put my talents to use. I just wish that recruiters and hiring managers could see the same thing.

I don't want this post to come off as a whiny spoiled brat complaining about her life. I realize that I am fortunate in MANY ways. I am fortunate to have my parents and friends ongoing support during this time and couldn't even fathom how this could be for someone who has a family that depends on them. No matter what, finding a new job is a humbling experience.

I've learned a lot about myself in the last 90 days, and more specifically, the last week. After what seems to be rejection after rejection I finally received a job offer with my dream company. There was just one problem; when I received the email that I had received the job I immediately said "oh no". Suddenly I realized (maybe a bit too late in the game some might say), that I didn't want the job. I was upset at myself for not wanting it and feeling emotionless about the position.

I've said it time and time again; I am a big believer that things happen for a reason. I am slowly coming to terms of what my needs and expectation are. I want, no crave, a work-life balance. I want to work to live. I want to use my skills in photography, communications, and French to the test. When people see my resume, they automatically say 'sales' and though I'm happy that this is one my strengths, I would prefer to work on others.

So as of today, I'm rebranding the job search and myself. I will continue to network and grow my freelance photography business, and even though I might not be traveling as much as I want at the moment, I am going to remember that sometimes the best lessons in life don't happen while seeing the Eiffel tower or eating pasta in Italy. Sometimes some of the best lessons that you learn about yourself happen at home.

Until next time,




You Might Also Like

0 comments