Freelance Photography: What is it?

Monday, November 20, 2017

Photo by Abby Furry
For the past five years, I have been snapping pictures for fashion shows, promotional shoots, senior pictures, and a little of everything in between. Throughout the years I have learned that photography can be more than just a hobby; it has the potential to become a business.

You see, photography is more than just snapping pictures. Before the photoshoot even begins you have to come up with a concept. This means finding a location to shoot in (for example the Minnesota State Capital), looking up photography rules and open hours, and getting some inspiration from other photographers and works of arts. Right now, my models are shooting for free. This means that the majority of my work are non-paying shoots. I mostly get contacted via social media (Facebook and Instagram being the primary source to connect) of models interested in creating shoots with myself. Sometimes they will come in with concepts of their own, other times I will be focusing on an idea that I am interested in doing. 
Photography is something that I love to market as one of my additional talents. You really have to be a people person in order to be a fashion photographer because you are interacting one-on-one with someone in an intimate setting. Shooting has allowed for me to create close friendships with individuals that I would have never dreamed of meeting. Having the opportunity not only to photograph them but have conversations about their work, has allowed for me to push myself further and further into the photography business. I'll admit, that I still have a lot to learn about photography, but I am finally seeing some of my hard work pay off.

 

I consider myself to be a unique photographer for many different reasons. First, I don't shoot in your typical locations. Why should we keep on regenerating the same content over and over again? I am always scouting for new models, places, and ideas that will make people stop their scrolling on Instagram and stare. I don't want to look like xyz's work, because of guess, what? I'm not them, so why would I even try to imitate their work. I pride myself off of my fast editing skills (which are completed 24-48 after the shoot) and love hearing people's reactions to the shoots. 

It's kind of funny how much my photography has developed over the ages. I am thankful for the experiences that I have had to learn about the many aspects of photography and hope that maybe one day (fingers crossed) I can expand my photography into something a bit more lucrative. Until then, I'll keep on networking my butt off. To see more of my work please feel free to check out www.sabrinakennellyphotography.com 

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Freelancing is one of the best way to earn money these days. Nowadays a lot of people doing freelancing photography and earn good amount of side money to bear expenses. Now its time to avail star labs chicago for more information.

    ReplyDelete